Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Reflections on writing the Issues Paper

Well, I guess this blog post is a little bit late.  Oh well.  I definitely had a lot of other home work to do, and then forgot about it until now.  The whole process was very educational.  I have written more papers than I care to try to recall since I've been in college.  I have never written one quite like this one, though.  The research process for the IP was the biggest difference.  I have always had access to all, or almost all of my sources when I've started actually writing.  There aren't a whole lot of scholarly articles, however, on the cult of personality of the POTUS.  Almost all of my sources were actual books, and I had to wait for them to be available at the library, with the exception of one of them.  One of the books even had to come in through Inter-Library Loan from Washington State University.  As a result of this, I had to take notes from the materials as I received them, analyze my notes in regards to the overall paper, and then work each piece of notes, quotes, and analysis into the whole paper.  I even had to cut out 2 pages at the end because I had too much.  That never happens! 
As far as how I changed my perspective on my topic goes, I realized that the problem of the president overstepping his bounds and the media and nation turning a blind eye has been a nearly perpetual issue from the start of the 20th century.  It is a bipartisan problem and it will undoubtedly require bipartisan effort to overcome it.

No comments: